Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cock Of The Week - Andy Burnham


There’s something immensely depressing about people wanting to make libraries jolly and lively and full of buzz. If it were the idea of a five-year old you could probably forgive them (after a quick slap round the chops) but when it’s the idea of your nation's supposed “Culture Secretary” then you really need to worry.

Andy Burnham’s call for “joy and chatter” in libraries is one of the most absurd notions I’ve heard in recent times. What next - conga lines at funerals? There is *no need* for joy and chatter, because you can get that anywhere. A library can still be family-friendly without having to sound like bloody riot’s going on in the middle of it. It can still be a social space - it already is, of course. What kind of dunderhead can’t tell the difference between a *social* space and a *noisy* one...?
Oh hang on, I know the answer to that one...

There are plenty of places (or "social spaces") where people - and families - can go and make noise. McDonalds springs to mind as a pretty obvious choice. Or a leisure centre or Starbucks or park or swimming pool or Burger King or other eatery or cafe or internet cafe or supermarket or theme park or high street or experience park or pub or basically almost everybloodywhere.
The point of libraries is that they should absolutely NOT be full of joy and chatter. Well, joy perhaps, but you can still easily do that in peace and quiet if you’re reading or thinking the right thing.
The fact that this idiotic idea comes from someone who’s supposed to be in charge of culture (and libraries of course) is an enormous worry because it suggests that either a) he’s never been in a library or b) he hates libraries.
Or possibly both of the above.
One thing’s for sure - it’s a totally awful idea; a typically miserable little New Labour brainfart; a vacuous, offensive, pointless, meaningless guff - bereft of reason, virulently anti-culture, and ultimately just utter crap.

Libraries are one of the very very few places left where anybody can go and read and think in peace and quiet, untroubled by the outside world. People deserve to keep that kind of environment - for learning, for personal development, or just because it’s a good thing in itself. There’s nothing elitist in that; just a separation of study, peace, contemplation and solitude from the noise and static that fills the rest of the world.
To quote author Lynsey Hanley, “Go to the library and you're still in a social space whether or not anyone is talking. They used to call it companionable silence, but now there's so little of it I'm not sure anyone knows what it means. It means being able to look around you and feel a sense of deep commonality without having to articulate it out loud. You'd now have to go to a Quaker meeting house in order to find it.”

Sometimes, Mr Burnham, silence really is golden. Particularly so when your thought is so impoverished that a chatter-filled library is the kind of idea you come up with.
Or as Mark Twain put it (you’d know about him if you’d ever entered a library...)
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”



1 comment:

abc said...

Arrrrgh!

Aaaargggh!!

Aaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!

Most horrible proposal EVER!
I'm a serious book rat and I lovez me my quiet libraries. I have one favourite library near my home and in there my favourite place where it is nice and quiet and you can be completely away from the world for hours if you want. And it drives me mad and seriously out of my mind when there are people around TALKING without cause or pause, not looking for books or reading, but TALKING. I hate that! If they want to talk, they should go to a bar or outside or EVERYWHERE BUT A LIBRARY.

I have never heard of that guy before (sorry, not from the UK and I stopped reading newspapers), but I sure know that I don't like him. Who in his right mind would seriously propose "joy and chatter" in libraries? Those are the only public places where you can still have your peace without someone constantly blabbing into his mobile right next to you, almost chewing your ear off in the process.

There is a world without talking and I like that world. It makes me happy. Usually I talk a lot myself, but I know when to shut my mouth and I don't have to talk all the time just to cover up the silence. People seem to be afraid of silence these days. Perhaps they are afraid they could hear their own thoughts then. Or even worse - the lack of.